It certainly is time that we brought in ethics into organizations in a self-regulatory manner. It would work out in our favour in more ways than one and would be cost effective in the long run. Considering the fall of erstwhile financial giants, or who we thought were financial giants, it seems imperative that we re-examine, polish and refurbish our ethical code of conduct.
To quote Unilever: “Economic growth must go hand in hand with sound environmental management, hearing unmet needs, offering equal opportunities worldwide, and maintaining highest safety and health standards.”
- Train employees concerning their responsibilities.
- Provide a free and open atmosphere.
- Adopt procedures for voluntary disclosure.
- Take ownership that this organization is yours.
- Have a public accountability project.
Of course developing ethical code is not a one-off affair. It is a continuous process. Today we are talking of an empowering culture, a customer focused culture. Then isn’t it time to talk, act, live a holistic ethics oriented culture too?